Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Best New Years Yet!

This year was the first time in eight years that I wasn't serving drinks for New Years Eve.  Sometimes I would try and go out for a few drinks after work, but it was always a huge appointment.  Everyone was already trashed and stupid, exactly the same people I had just had my fill of waiting on during one of the worst nights of the year at work.  Anyone who has ever worked a job like that can tell you there is such a thing as too busy.  When it's too crowded to get to your customers frequently enough, well, they just go get it themselves.  Then, they are cranky about that and don't even tip the bartender.  Not everyone is like this, but enough are that it turns a night that looks like it should be great into just a bunch of craziness.  It's frustrating and everyone has to work.  So, after a night like that I could go out, deal with more drunk, crazed celebrators and no available cabs which means getting stuck somewhere for who knows how long OR I  could just go home.  After getting home a few years ago at 9 a.m. pissed off, sober and exhausted, I learned my lesson.

What did I do this year?  I stayed home.  But this time I was hanging out with Moon Baby.  I didn't have to deal with the crappy weather outside or ANY drunk people.  Sure, I was puked on a couple times, and I had someone yelling at me that he wanted a drink.  This year, I made no tips.  My husband had to work, so my "New Years kiss" was a phone call.  I even got pooped on a little bit.  But, Moon Baby's smiles and laughs made it much more fun than anything else I could have been doing.  This is one of those times when I have thought back to what my life was like a year ago, before baby or even pregnancy, and am amazed by how much things can change in only one year.  Where will I be next New Years?  I can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment