Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Made One Cloth Diaper!



I gotta say, I'm pretty proud of this little diaper!  It's the first one that I've finished.  After a week or so of thinking, sketching, and carrying my tape measure around everywhere, I finally sketched out my pattern. I guess I'll see what needs to be tweaked after test driving this one a little, but I'm fairly happy with the results so far.



This is a one size fitted diaper made out of an old T-shirt. It has one sewn in soaker and a second soaker that snaps in under the attached one.  I had a lot of trouble getting good pictures because my model wanted to chew on the diaper.  Once he had it on, he didn't want to stay still for pictures.  Always moving!



I finally just took one while he was sleeping on my lap (as I type this).



Silly me, I forgot to change my thread color, so I was top stitching with white on a dark fabric.  It didn't get too wacky though!

Update:  I made a couple more like this one and we have been using them for a while now.  With the next two, I added an extra layer of t-shirt material to make it a little thicker.  I think I will change the snap placement on the wings a little, but that's about it!  I'm thinking of trying a few hybrid fitteds next. These are fitted diapers with a layer of fleece hidden inside to make them moisture resistant, but not water proof. This way they breath little more, but can last a bit more without a cover.  I like letting him run around at home with just a fitted.  It's very easy to tell when he's wet and his skin gets a little more air.

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I started making my own diapers recently, as well, but I haven't made a fitted yet. That's very neat that you used your own pattern too! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete